Balsamic Strawberry Shortcake
Balsamic Strawberry Shortcake – So, I am not a big fan of desserts. I have never really had the “sweet tooth”, but I have kids. So I thought… do I let them eat moon pies or do I come up with something a little healthier with ingredients that I can pronounce?
Guess who won? Yes that is right…the moon pies. No just kidding. I won. So, I searched deep and wide into the dark dark interwebs for the best ideas, ingredients and strawberry recipes. None of them quite fit what I was going for. Therefore, I had to dig deeper and deeper into the dark dark dark interwebs until I found this… Balsamic Strawberry Short Cake. So here we go…
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ lbs. strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar (for strawberries)
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoon baking flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar (for shortbread)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Whipped Cream
- 1 ½ cups whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cut stems off strawberries and cut into quarters. Place into bowl with ¼-cup sugar along with balsamic vinegar and stir. Using a potato masher, mash ¼ of the strawberries and allow time to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1-teaspoon salt with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Add cream and mix to combine.
- Spread mixture into an ungreased 8in pan and bake until golden brown (18-22 mins).
- Remove shortcake from pan and allow time to cool.
- Cut short cake into 6 pieces and half the 6 pieces just like a biscuit.
- Using a mixer beat heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla extract until nice stiff firm peaks appear.
- Spoon strawberries and juice onto each cake bottom with cream, add cake top and top with more strawberries and cream
This delicious dessert takes a little time and there are a few moving parts involved but it is so worth it. As always, just don’t’ go through life…Life44 it… Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.