Coffee Rub Pork Belly Bites
Coffee Rub Pork Belly Bites
I think way before I was born Memorial Day was the unofficial start of summer. I remember being 5 or 6 years old getting ready to go to some relative’s home for a big BBQ. I also remember seeing all these Memorial Day mattress sales and I never really thought much about it. Back then, Memorial Day was just the beginning of summer and there were many sales going on. None of which I cared about. I mean what 6-year-old cares about no interest for a full year on furniture?
Flash forward about 14 years later to a scared 20 year old at Ft Knox, Ky. My first night I was awoken to the sounds of a trash can being thrown down the hall and screams of get up…get out of bed. It was my first full day of basic training in the US Army.
I spent almost 10 years in the Army and looking back it was some of the best times in my life. It also made me realize what Memorial Day really stands for… and it is not for great deals on cars, furniture or mattresses. It is about remembering those who have served their country in the greatest possible way and gave their life in that endeavor. So I ask all of you to take a pause at 3:00pm your local time and remember those brave men and women who died serving their country.
Now that I have gotten that off my chest, on to why you came here…coffee rub pork belly bites. I found a great cut of pork belly a few weeks ago and just knew I had to do something good with them. I will admit that I think I outdid myself on these and they turned out amazing. Well, I’ll let you get the judge.
- Pork belly (you choose the weight depending on how many you want to feed, I used 2lb piece)
- Coffee rub or your favorite rub
- BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
- The night prior to smoking your pork belly generously work in your rub on both side of the belly, wrap in plastic rub, and place back into the refrigerator.
- Remove the belly one hour before placing on the smoker and score the fat horizontally and vertically. You want to score the fat and not the meat. After scoring you should have what looks like little one inch squares in the fat.
- Fire up your smokes and get the temperature to 225 degrees
- Place belly fat side up and smoke until an internal temp of 165 degrees
- Once the belly is 165 degrees wrap tightly in aluminum foil along with the 2 tablespoons of Champagne Vinegar and continue to smoke until 200 degrees is reached
- Once 200 degrees is reached, unwrap the belly and coat both side with BBQ sauce and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Wrap belly in foil and let rest for 15 minutes
- Following your score marks finishing cutting the pork belly into squares and serve.
Thanks for stopping by and Life44… Live, laugh, love & learn